With the Extend profile feature, you can add custom fields for your users, courses, branches, locations, and training sessions. This feature can be used if you need to add additional fields that are not available by default.
To add a new custom field:
- Sign in as an Administrator.
- Go to “Extend profile” (1) and then click “Add field” (2).
- Here, you can specify the following:
- Name (3): the name of the custom field available in the system.
- Label (4): the name shown to Learners.
- Placeholder text (5): the text shown in the field before you enter or select anything.
- Create for (6): select between users, courses, branches, locations, and training sessions.
- Type (7): select the type of custom field you want to create among textbox, checkbox, date, list, multiple list, and text area (described below).
- Default value (8): specify the default value of the custom field.
- Is mandatory (9): specify if the custom field needs to be filled or not.
- Field rule (10): specify a regular expression that will restrict the custom field.
- Then, you can specify if this field is going to be visible to Learners (11) and if it’s going to be visible in the Reports (12).
- Lastly, specify if this is a branch field or not (13) and click “Add” (14). Keep in mind, that you can assign profile extensions only for 1st level branches.
|Note: Setting a custom user field as mandatory will not ask you to add a value to the field if you edit a user’s profile as an Administrator. However, the field is mandatory when you edit your own Administrator profile.|
The available custom field types are:
- Textbox: the standard textbox field that the user can add any text to (255 character limit).
- Checkbox: a checkbox field that can either be checked or unchecked.
- Date: a date field that depends on the date format selected in System settings.
- List: a drop-down list where you can select a single value. The options need to be added in the Values field and need to be separated with a | symbol. For example, if we want to create a Country extended field and select List, the values should be UK | France | Germany | Austria | Spain | Italy | Greece. If you want the first option to be empty (null) you need to start your values with | option 1 | option 2.
- Multiple list: a drop-down list, similar to a list, but you can select multiple values.
- Textarea: a text area field that will use the system’s text editor (65.535 character limit).
|Note: Adding a new Extend field, will not change the existing items retroactively. For example, if you create a new custom field for Users, only the users created afterwards will have the option to choose among the values (and the already existing users will be assigned the default value, if a default value is set, or they will have to add a value only when edited/updated). Also, keep in mind that if you update an already set default value with a new one, instead, this will apply only to the new users created after this change, while the existing users will keep the value they already have.|